<<< Back | Next Page>>>

First may we introduce The Tabla Master Sri Gouri Sankar. Here Gouri is explaining a particular tabla passage with its emphasis and rhythm.
Gouri's CV is a most impressive document and it appears below the photo. Gouri has performed with many notable artists not mentioned in the CV.
Gouri's first piece of advice is this: "Sitting position is very important, you must sit up straight but relaxed not stiff"

Gouri Sankar :

Born in 1964 to a nationally respected family of musicians, Sri Gouri Sankar , the grandson of famed dhrupadiya (vocalist) Jotinra Mohn , began studying and playing tabla at the young age of three-years under the able guidance of his father, Mr. Shib Sankar - a noted disciple of the tabla maestro, the late Ustad Keramatulla Khan. In conjunction with his studies, Mr. pursued the art and technique of tabla seriously and soon developed superb control over the instrument.

Since the age of ten years and, since 1979, under the tutelage of the Tabla Maestro, Professor Sankha Chatterjee, Mr. has accumulated numerous honors from the worldwide music community.

A graduate of Calcutta University, Mr. Gouri Sankar has passed the Sangeet Pravakar Degree examination of Prayag Sangeet Samity, Allahabad, B. Mus. Degree of the Indira Kala University and Sangeet Bhivakar Degree of Bangiya Sangeet Parishad (West Bengal).

Mr. passed the Sangeet Visharad Degree Examination of Pracheen Kala Kendra Chandigarh in 1987 came first, securing the coveted Gold Medal of excellence. He is also affiliated with Sankar Kala Mandir where he has been a Tabla Teacher for the last fifteen years. He joined the A.I.R. and Doordarshan, Calcutta in 1982 as a Regular Artist. Ghouri is also an examiner of Prachin Kala Kendra. Chandigarh.

Sri Gouri Sankar is an outstanding percussion artist. He has received high compliments world-wide for his musical virtuosity. He enchants audiences with his deep, melodic artistry, displaying his keen understanding of intricate rhythms.

He has conducted several concert tours in Asia, Europe, the Middle East and the United States, among these are: "The Parampara Festival" (organized by D.A.D. Berlin, 1992); "Martinique - Inde Mela 1992"; "Strasbourg Foire" (Indian Tourism, 1992); "Lebanon International Festival 1994"(I. C. C.R.); "Egypt International Festival 1994" (I. C. C. R); and "Israel International Festival 1994" (I. C. C.R.). He has given radio and television interviews in Cairo, Germany and Monaco.

Eminent musicians and music connoisseurs world-wide have a great appreciation for Sri Gouri Sankar 's musicianship.